Photo accessed on Google
As you know, we are having the largest measles outbreak in many years in the US. Several patients have asked me if they are protected and should get an MMR booster vaccine. Here is a useful 3 minute video which tells us if you should get the vaccine. I have tried to summarize the video points below:
1. Born before 1957 - most like had the disease as it was so endemic
2. Vaccinated with FIRST VERSION 2 DOSES (INACTIVATED, available between 1963-1968)
3. VACCINATED WITH SECOND VERSION x 2 DOSES (ATTENUATED, available after 1968)
4. VACCINATED WITH 1 DOSE INACTIVATED (1963-1968) AND 1 DOSE ATTENUATED (1969 ONWARD)
2. ONE DOSE INACTIVATED (1963-1968) WITH NO FURTHER DOSES
3. ONE DOSE OF ATTENUATED (1969 ONWARDS) WITH NO BOOSTER
If you fit any of these criteria or are unsure if you received a second dose - please consider having an MMR booster vaccine. Most commercial insurances cover the vaccine 100% and you can get it at any retail pharmacy.
Thank you for doing your best to take care of yourself!
Dr. Collins is interested in the health and well being of the individual, community, and planet.